Monday, April 2, 2007

2004 St. Francis Sonoma Old Vines Zinfandel


This is the third bottle we opened up on Friday night. It was one of the Costco mixed case bunch.

This wine had a rich burgundy colour with peaches on the nose. The fruit smell was not strong enough to hide the alcohol smell from the 15.5% in this bad boy. As the high booze content would suggest, this wine was anything but legless.
On the tongue I got plums and chocolate. I was surprised again that this "Costco special" would be as pleasing as it was; but then again perhaps I'm just addicted to zins...
Later on in the evening a distinct buzz had been achieved and a second glass gave me a nose that was close to the burnt rubber you get in a syrah - and I thought I could taste it too. Another tasting the next evening banished that note as a delusional drunk thought as it was as good on the second day as it was on the first.

The presentation was good. It came in a proper Zin bottle with a synthetic cork. The back label gives some info, and the tasting notes, while for a previous vintage, at least give what they mean by "old vines".

The Verdict:

I would buy more, and would like to try their other Zins.
Style:Zinfandel
Varietals:Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Alicante Bouschet
Appellation/Terrior:Sonoma, California
Vintage:2004
Vintner:St. Francis
Alcohol:15.5% by Volume
Price:$18.65

1 comment:

Winetaster said...

How freaky: We had the St. Francis Old Vines Zin, 2004, at dinner tonight! It was great -- I still have the 2002 in my cooler, but wanted to try the 2004 to see if I should grab some more at Costco while they have it. Affirmative!